Racism is weird. Thinking about it, despite living in a multi-racial country, I don't know a single person who I can confirm is totally untainted by racism in some form or another.
I know lots of Chinese, perfectly nice, kind-hearted individuals, who proudly and casually announce that they are racist.
I've met vehemently racist Indians as well, like the complete stranger who drunkenly preached the benefits of conducting business deals with Malays (he claimed it was all the easier to cheat them).
This being Sarawak, there are always many Dayaks around to proclaim their racism quite unabashedly, as do some other Bumiputeras (Kelabits, Orang Ulus, Kadazans, etc) and mixed-bloods. And of course, I mean mixed-bloods in the nicest way possible. Mixed-bloods are almost always prettier than pure-bloods, and more likely to be athletic and fit. The best of both worlds, I guess.
I know some people (maybe, possibly even myself included, if I can step back far enough to see clearly..but I can't..) who so clearly portray both racism and unity in perfect tandem.
I don't know if I'm slightly racist, or even if I'm an outright racist. A very strange dichotomy.
These are just my messed-up thoughts for now, stirred up by the recent outbursts of racism. The Malay headmistress who asked Chinese students to "go back to China" and allegedly said that Indian students were akin to dogs. The newspaper article that asked, "What do the Chinese want?" as if Chinese wants were unlike those of other citizens.
All I can think of now is that things aren't looking all that great for this country.
So political, this post. Yuck.
And there, I've done it again. Censored myself. I can't even write my thoughts out in a private journal. Haha. Nothing posted online without a password is private, and sometimes not even then.
No comments:
Post a Comment