Am writing this in the lobby of Sara Hotel again. Sitting on the hideous sofa set, will post a photo of it when I get back to Miri.
Just had dinner with Sylvester at Blue Wave. Will be leaving Labuan tomorrow.
The repair job is finished at KNDP-A, left Otto-3 and the platform with a rather heavy heart. Sat outside on the Sarah Gold, watching the platform get smaller and smaller. Until it was just a speck in the distance, until all I could see was the faint flicker of the flare.
I don't know if I'll ever see it again.
I don't even know if I'll ever go offshore again.
The blue sea stretches on to forever. Wonderfully blue.
The brilliant blue sea meeting the cloudy blue sky on the horizon.
The diamond reflection of the sun on the waves.
A pair of fish, swimming together near the surface. Occasionally drifting further apart, but always remaining close.
The gratings, the pipes, the instruments, the motors, the cables.
The Filipino Bajau fishermen on their tiny "water pump" powered boats.
The ladders, the pulleys, the faint smell of gas in the air.
The signage, the labels, the indicators, the markings.
The cool feel of the flooring under your socks.
The PPE checking: safety boots, safety glasses, hard hat, work vest, life jacket. In and out and over and across, always the PPE checking.
The constant swaying motion. The rocking waves.
Offshore was beautiful. Really, peaceful, beautiful..
No comments:
Post a Comment