Thursday, May 6, 2010

6th May 2010

B went back to Kuching for about a week, last week. He took his last Safety paper, think he did well. He's now in Labuan on day trip for some meeting.

I was in Kuching for the Labour Day weekend (overlapped 2 days with B). Only spent a very quiet 3 days there; it wasn't enough, but then it's never enough.

Also something else worth mentioning about last week: Lynn smashed up her toe by dropping a laptop on it. I didn't see it when I went back and I don't want to see it. It's all bandaged up and I discreetly avoided looking at it every time she peeled open the dressing.

Taro (the last guinea pig) died the day after Labour Day. Poor Taro, she's so pitiful. We bought a new rabbit on Labour Day. The rabbit's name is Bunny. I don't think the family is that sad about Taro's death, and they all seem to like Bunny much better.

A very curious Bunny.

Getting back to work after the weekend in Kuching was a shock.

Boss had a minor stroke on Labour Day. Being the workaholic that he is, he has still been going to work as usual. He has Bell's Palsy, facial nerve paralysis.
For the past 4 working days he hasn't smiled or laughed once. I don't think he can.
He sits in the dark, in his room; the light hurts his eye. His eye keeps tearing up and he just wipes away the wetness and continues working.
He still argues with the management, with the client, with the sub-contractors. Still puts in so much effort. As if the stress isn't such a big deal.

I've never seen such a terrible workaholic. Am worried about him, this is very bad for him - but also very impressed. That is really working. Respect.
Nevertheless, the week has been tiring and the mood is pretty subdued. I keep thinking I should do as much as I can to ease Boss' burden, and avoid passing more stressful matters to him. So if I can, I'll settle it myself.

Yet..it's very likely that Boss wouldn't want to renew his contract. My future is uncertain. As they so adore saying in office-speak, "the clock is ticking."

No comments: