Over the course of the past month or so, practically every new person I've met (70%?) and every single "old friend" I've met up with face-to-face, has asked me for my Facebook account. Or asked me to get a Facebook account. Or asked me why I'm not opening a Facebook account. (Yes, I'm talking about you! Haha!)
Why Facebook?
Why even have a public blog?
Why am I writing this here for everyone to read? As I write this, I contemplate moving my blog, yet again. This is my journal. These are my thoughts, and yet I censor myself or hide behind a tangle of words because I know I am not alone here with them.
Maybe I am to a certain extent, anti-social. I don't feel the urge to form any connection with random people.
I already have other means of contacting those I consider as true friends. And I have no desire to connect with superfluous acquaintances via intrusive social networking sites.
Really.. What's with the rise of all these social connections sites online? Addictive and compelling, almost to a primal level.
Voyeuristic, in poring through other peoples' lives. Soaking in the photos of their vacations or outings and their random comments and ramblings in their online journals.
Narcissistic, in wanting others to look, to comment, to drink in all the personal minutiae. Seeking self-validation, attention, "friends", connection?
To quote a famous paraphrase of George Berkeley's philosophical musings:
"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"
The metaphysical answer best describes the need fueling online exhibitionism (or validation?):
"The falling of the tree or any other disturbance will produce vibration of the air. If there be no ears to hear, there will be no sound."
But I think it doesn't matter.
The tree knows that it is falling. That's enough.
2 comments:
lol. so philosophical. barely understood a word u said. haha..dont think i want to die like that tree though...without anyone knowing. sounds pretty sad.
But other trees would know. Silently. Hahah..
Post a Comment