Ok, so here are some highlights from last night and this morning!
26th June 2009
Attended a Gawai celebration (3 weeks plus after the actual date, haha). It was a company event, held on the floor above our office. So after office hours, we just walked up. It was very interesting and the food was nice. It was hot though! But small matter.
I brought B's camera. Will upload some pics here if I'm not too lazy. Hahah..
It was also the first time I'd ever seen the Iban version of a Christmas tree. It's a small palm tree (coconut), and goodies like tuak, soft drinks, and keropok are hanging from string tied to the tree!
The base (trunk?) of the palm tree is wrapped with the traditional Dayak cloth, so it looks really festive with all the stuff.
So people are supposed to dance (ngajat?) around the tree while brandishing a parang. And the chop off stuff from the tree while dancing. You get to bring home whatever you manage to cut off.
Pretty cool!
Oh, and there was also a safety briefing by the HSSE HOD at the beginning. Was funny cos I'd never been to any dinner that included a safety briefing before starting..
There were also traditional Dayak prayers, blessings for the company (with a live chicken! very anti-climatic - they didn't kill it, just drew a tiny amount of blood), ceremonies and dancing. Am glad I got to experience it.
On my way back to Senadin, B called from B11 to wish me luck for the running/walking. I was scared and a bit sad.
--
27th June 2009
The day of the HLS Joggerthon! Woke up at 5.00am this morning!
Washed up, and got ready. I ate about 19grams of chocolate, 2 pieces of Slai Olai, and drank a can of Milo that I suspect might have been rotten. But I drank it anyways, cos I can't tell the difference.
Went down to the Youth & Sports Centre for the joggerthon, reached before 6.00am. Registered and got my number. Felt kinda sad and scared cos I was alone. A nice lady called Alice (she's a hasher!) helped me to pin my number on my back.
I met Joe's parents there too. They were really nice to me and helped hold onto my car keys.
Started the jog/run at around 6.30am. I didn't really know what to do. So kinda jogged along with the rest of the bunch.
Was doing ok (I think) until I felt cold, then straight away thought of my mini red blood cells not being able to carry any oxygen. So kinda slowed to a walk. And asked some girl who was also walking (her name's Karen) if she was cold. And she said that she wasn't cold..which kinda messed with my mind more...
So, I just walked with her the entire way. Even though I didn't feel cold after a while.
I dunno..probably should have picked up and continued running, but I didn't. Just walked along and talked with her.
Reached the finishing in about 1 hour and 22 minutes. It was a 6.5km route, with one slight incline, and one hill. I think that's a really bad time.
Oh, yeah, and I finished last.
I think I didn't try my best. My body is not even tired now.. I don't know if I've ever pushed hard enough for it to be my "best"? I think I always stop short. A bit disappointed in myself. But, oh well..
Nevertheless, it was a very good experience! At least I tried it, and it was not bad. First time joining a joggerthon, yay!
A step to improve my general health.. Hope I can keep it up.
No comments:
Post a Comment